Thursday, November 6, 2008

Stop and Smell the Now.

Many of us our self proclaimed all-star multi-taskers, but whatever happened to living in the moment? It is well recognized that the routine practice of living in the moment will lead to a fuller more satisfying life.

Today’s WikiHow suggests consciously focusing on an individual task to truly live in the moment. While performing even the most mundane chore be attentive to your senses and experience. As a result, you will savor the present rather than flying subconsciously through it. The practice of focusing on the present is prevalent in Buddhist and Jewish meditation. Buddhism refers to the practice as mindfulness, while a form of Jewish mediation uses a single phrase to begin the practice. By repeating “Ahyeh Asher Ahyeh,” translated to mean “I will be as I will be,” one is meant to acknowledge one of G-d’s promises: I am and remain present.”

If the thought of meditation makes you think of Madonna’s poorly aging face attached to her sickingly fit body, I plainly suggest just living in the moment. Rather than seeking satisfaction and fulfillment through choclate or a shopping spree, why not take conscious steps to achieve a longer lasting, more satisfying result?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said! I know I enjoy savoring each moment I spend with loved ones, including the author of this blog.