Sunday, November 9, 2008

Gym-ing


In an effort to get myself together, I am breaking down and getting a gym membership.

First, I had to work out the financial aspect of a gym membership. When all is said an done, the membership will cost about $700 a year. That's a pretty large chunk of change. But, think about how many other expenses equal $700 a year: 1 nice dinner out monthly; a haircut monthly; a pair of shoes monthly; 4 Starbucks cappuccinos weekly; eating lunch out 5 times a month. You get the point. The truth of the matter is, I don't seriously ponder spending during those individual situations, but they are probably costing me a lot more then my gym membership. Further, a gym membership has added bonuses that those expenses do not. One, a fitness plan is healthier and more rewarding then any of those purchases. Two, if I am spending time on the elliptical, I will have less time to spend money on dinner's out and shopping sprees.

Next, I researched what I needed to know before getting a gym membership. These are things I normally went to my mother to figure out, but we all have to grow up sometime.

Questions to Ask:
  1. Is there a free trial membership available for those thinking about joining. I want to make sure that I enjoy the gym before making such a commitment: are the facilities up to my standards; is the staff helpful and friendly; is it too busy to enjoy a workout when I am available; etc?
  2. What kind of a contract am I signing - 6 months, 1 year, 2 years? Are there savings for signing on for longer?
  3. Are there get-out clauses? If I move to a different city can I get out of the contract without a penalty?
  4. Can I suspend my membership if I become injured, sick, or take an extended vacation?
  5. If interested in training, are the trainers certified?

2 comments:

Anne Paige said...

After the Experience Added Tip:

Say you are moving from another gym and see what incentives they can offer.

LT said...

I would like to add a gym-joining hint. Check out globalfit.com, a Philadelphia-based healthy lifestyle incentive program that offers discounted rates on gym memberships to those enrolled in health insurance plans, employees of certain corporations and members of organizations (for example the Philadelphia Bar Association). -LT, Sweat member.