Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Financial Yoga

As a kid, I was taught to work hard for what I
wanted, and that I would be duly rewarded. My
parents implemented this method through
college and law school, trying to give me
reasonable funds to supplement rigorous
studies. Because of their monthly donations to
the Anne Fund, there were always greenbacks
to go out to dinner or pick up a new outfit. But
just as the Dean handed me a diploma sporting
Anne J.D., they felt their charitable obligations
had ceased and my self-help obligation began.
After a long discussion with my tough-love
mother, I felt guilty for mourning the loss of my
eating-out fund. She encouraged me to take my
anxiety by the horns and gain control of the
situation much like you would a bad relationship
or an argument with a friend. After all, did I want
to live in an apartment forever or be writing a
check to educational services in 20 years?
Plainly, no. So, why would I let a new pair of
jeans stand in the way of my financial stability?

Over the past couple of months, it has certainly
been a process, neither perfect nor disastrous.
Every month I learn a little bit more about my
spending habits and find hidden opportunities to
save. There are small victories, like only
buying coffee once during the week, or turning
down a friend's invitation to dinner while there is
plenty of sustenance in the fridge.

I know I'm not the only one that feels this way,
so I imagine you'll be equally happy and inspired
when you read Whole Living: Body + Soul's
article entitled, "Find Financial Balance." It
completely documents my mother's precious
advice, but is supplemented by professional
authority. As the Sex in the City generation, we
are so quick to demand authority and
competence in our professional lives and
personal relationships. So, why shouldn't we
command the same from our checkbooks?

P.S. At the risk of sounding like a stalker, this
article is another Martha contribution.

P.P.S. I hope Katie isn't mad, but this article is
worth printing out and having on hand to rea
repeatedly or passing along to friend who may
need a little help.

4 comments:

Cheese said...

Print it out on the back side of something you don't need anymore!

Anonymous said...

i cant see it

Anne Paige said...

Sorry for the weird formatting, I was able to correct the color, but now the spacing is messed. Better than before.

Anonymous said...

HILARIOUS!! Thanks for the shout out.

I agree whole heartedly with this post. It's so important to think that instead of buying that $250 pair of jeans, put that towards your credit card bill- that's like an extra $500! No jeans, debt reduced.

However, what I love MOST about living in a city is the luxury of going out to eat with friends, finding the best dress at that sample sale and enjoying drinks out with the girls. Do I have to sacrifice a life to save $$$!?