Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Introducing my Green Thumb!

After a recent trip to Aruba and a fantastic Cuban restaurant, my love for mojitos is renewed just in time for the summer.  Over plantain chips Dave and I discussed my already ordained Summer 2009 drink.  But, fresh mint always on hand - way expensive.  Which got me thinking, why not grow a little herb garden.  If one were to buy fresh herbs every week for cooking you could end up spending about $125 dollars a year. An herb garden is only as much as you want it to be.  

So, I set out to foster a little garden of go-to herbs.  Unfortunately, the inspiration herb - mint - will not be in for another two weeks, but I did plant rosemary, basil and parsley.  It was surprising easily.  I felt so economical and resourceful.  Not to mention, if the plants sprout and produce herbs it was $20 well spent.  

A few tips:
Ikea has pots for approximately $3 each.  I preferred the white variation with alternating patterns.  Using separate containers allows you to move them around on a whim and allows each plant to retain it's own flavor.  Mint flavored basil?  Not so much.  

To create plant markers, I took a toothpick and sandwiched said toothpick with a scrap-booking letter and a piece of paper.  It looks creative and was absolutely free.  

Place gravel or rocks at the bottom of the pot for proper draining in order to prevent root rot.  (Gross!)

Lastly, grope the soil daily to determine if it needs watering.  If the soil feels dry to the touch offer your new amigo a swig from your glass of water.  

2 comments:

cinderellie said...

I know you didnt intend for this to be funny, but I can't stop laughing.

love you!

Anne Paige said...

What ever makes you laugh, lovely.