Saturday, December 6, 2008

Root!

Dave is always seeking new eclectic restaurants which force me to stretch my pallet's comfort zone. Last night we finally got to try Root located at 10th and Spring Garded.

I had read some promising reviews, so I was excited and expectations were high. With 2 bottles of wine in hand (It's BYOB) we entered through the high gloss orange doors into an insanely intimate setting. The only electric light is from the kitchen, but each table is illuminated by tea lights. The setting is minimalistic, but not cold, and the owner-chef, adds personality and emotion to the setting, as well as the amazing food. Top it all off with great, soft playing music and I would say this place has it all for a 1st date, 52nd date, or dinner with friends.

We started with a tar-tar flight, foie gras, and a mushroom flat bread with bacon and scallon chutney finished with a poached egg. For my entree I had a risotto with arugala and crispy pork belly. Dave had the goulash. Dessert was delicious and light, not too overwhelming, but I forget the exact dish. I do remember Dave's dessert had a full-sized milkshake that would have made me lick th glass if my tongue were long enough. Each bite was so complex with fresh, perfectly paired flavors that you just wanted to chew a bit longer.

The food is local, extremely fresh and organic. It seemed to me that the organic quality was not to be with the times, but rather to optimize flavor.This was confirmed when Chris, the owner, amended the menu according to the availabilty of quality items this week.

All the items were reasonably priced considering the cullinary expertise they displayed and quality ingredients they contained. Why go to a repeat restaurant with predictable dishes and obnoxious service when you could go here? Also, there are rumors weekend brunch is to begin. I can only imagine.

We will certianly be returning and not just because I left my wine tote there.

No comments: